Whether you want a white picket fence, a privacy fence or a decorative wrought iron fence, look into all the options before investing. New fences can cost between $2500 to $8000, depending on the size of the plot and the type of fencing – so it is vital to make the right choice.
A good choice of fencing material and good installation helps to raise property values. Professional fence installation companies take landscaping and terrain into consideration to do a good job. Answering the question of why a fence is needed will help with the decision. In many cases, people make the wrong choice and this can impact the resale value of a home. Generally, wooden fences work quite well to provide privacy – vinyl fencing can offer the same advantages.
The Installation process
- Depending on the type of fencing required, it can be easy or quite difficult to do on one’s own. It is a good idea to pay a bit extra and hire a contractor to do the job. Here are the steps to fence installation.
- Spacing of fence posts: This is very important as it will decide the amount of work. Typically, posts are spaced 6 or 8 feet apart. Corners are installed first and then the others. Stretch a cord between the corner posts and then mark the areas for the other posts.
- Materials required for the job: Fence installation becomes easier when all the materials are fence posts, concrete and gravel, fence boards, nails, hammers, shovels and plumb levels.
- Preparing posts: When setting up fence posts, ensure that 1/3 of each post is buried in the earth to help them bear the weight of the slats and also withstand high winds. Fence posts are usually set in concrete to anchor them firmly in place. Add wood preservatives to prevent wood rot.
- Setting posts: Put in gravel at the bottom of each post or use concrete to hold them in place. Make sure the soil is level and brace them with stakes. Tamp down the dirt and pack it in – one thing to ensure in this process is not to move the post out of alignment.
- Attaching rails: The next step is to attach two rails to the fence posts. A butt joint is used to secure the rails. The alignment of the top and bottom rail is checked to ensure that it is even.
- Installing slats: The next step is to nail the vertical slats into place. Plumb levels are used at regular intervals to ensure that the boards are even.
This method is commonly used to install wood fences. The process to install chain link and wrought iron fences is different. A San Antonio fence company professional will be the right one to help in this regard.